I met Paul Hutcheson during the New York Frigid Fest a few years ago and, as most people do, immediately fell in love with him – as a person and as a performer. Just take a look at that face and you can see why! If you don’t already know Paul you have a great chance to see him perform – one night only – this weekend at the Duplex. Here’s a special 10 THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE SHOW BEFORE YOU GO so you can plan your weekend around this and make sure you’re STUPEFIED.
Saturday April 23rd at 4:30 pm
The Duplex, 61 Christopher Street $10/15
Answers provided by: Writer & performer Paul Hutcheson
1. Forget the PR version. When you’re talking to your friends, how do you explain this show to them?
Paul: This is the show where I discuss all things that ‘stupefy’ me! From gay men & a drinking study, to teaching teenagers, to the anus and love, I am constantly ‘Stupefied’ by life!
2. Here’s a scenario: After the show some audience members go have a drink. What’s the part of the show you hope they’re discussing?
Paul: I hope they are discussing how their cheeks hurt from smiling and laughing.
3. What drives your show – character, theme or plot?
Paul: The theme drives the stories and life experiences that I vividly bring to life on stage.
4. In rehearsals, read-thrus, or prior incarnations, what’s the one thing someone said about the show so far that made you (or the team) the most proud?
Paul: That their cheeks hurt from smiling and laughing!
5. If money and resources (and even reality) were no object what is the most lavish, luxurious, pointless prop, costume, effect – anything – that you would spend money on for this show?
Paul: I want to ‘stupefy’ the audience by flying around the stage and swooping into the audience in a custom made Wonder Woman outfit.
6. What’s the one thing you’re looking forward to as your show opens?
Paul: Getting to premiere the show in NYC! (This is a dream for a Canadian artist.)
7. Is there a scene, a moment, a gesture … anything at all in the show that you anticipate may get a completely different reaction depending on the audience that night?
Paul: Scolding people for not being able to talk about oral sex and masturbation but watching shows like ‘The Bachelorette’ & ‘Breaking Bad.’
8. What’s your favorite line from the show?
Paul: “Stupefying, isn’t it?”
9. What’s the last thing you usually do before the beginning of a show?
10. You scan the audience and you see a face that stops you dead in your tracks – who is it? And why are you shocked?
Paul: I scan and see John Cameron Mitchell. I am shocked because – how did he find out? And I hope he’s looking to manage a queer comedic performer!
Paul, my sweet, I know you’ll be stupefying that Duplex audience like crazy. The rest of you – get your butts over to the Duplex … one of my favorite New York places to hang and have fun. To purchase tickets CLICK HERE.
INFORMATION: (212) 255-5438
61 CHRISTOPHER STREET @ 7TH AVE
NYC, NY 10014