Ten Questions. Ten Answers. And one Big Surprise in the audience …
8 Decades of Music, Madness, and “Foreign Affairs.” Classy comedic “Femme Fatale,” D’yan Forest brings you her new show, A Broad Abroad to the New York Frigid Festival. The solo show takes you on her adventures, which began in Paris in 1955. Her comedy and songs (sung in French, Italian & German) include anecdotes about her swains throughout Europe including Italy, Austria and Jordan! Not only is she joined by her longtime pianist, Richard Danley, she also accompanies herself with the piano and ukulele. She’s an innovative 81 year old performer. The Daily News says, “She surprises and tantalizes her audiences with her unique style.”
- Tue Feb 16, 2016 | 5:30PM
- Sun Feb 21, 2016 | 3:30PM
- Fri Feb 26, 2016 | 6:50PM
- Wed Mar 2, 2016 | 5:30PM
- Fri Mar 04, 2016 | 8:30PM
Kraine Theater New York, NY $10/$15
Answers by D’yan Forest
1. Forget the PR version. When you’re talking to your friends, how do you explain this show to them?
D’yan: It’s a fun, sassy, sexy show with stories of my life in Europe accompanied by songs on the ukulele and piano. It’s a very interesting cabaret show.
2. Here’s a scenario: After the show some audience members go have a drink. What’s the part of the show you hope they’re discussing?
D’yan: I hope they’re talking about what an inspirational show it was.
3. What drives your show – character, theme or plot?
D’yan: My zest for life through my adventures in Europe.
4. In rehearsals, read-thrus, or prior incarnations, what’s the one thing someone said about the show so far that made you (or the team) the most proud?
D’yan: “I hope I can be like you at 81.”
5. If money and resources (and even reality) were no object what is the most lavish, luxurious, pointless prop, costume, effect – anything – that you would spend money on for this show?
D’yan: I’d love to have videos and sets of all the countries I’ve had these wonderful experiences in.
6. What’s the one thing you’re looking forward to regarding the FRIGID Festival itself?
D’yan: I love meeting people connected with the Frigid as they are very creative and fun!
7. Is there a scene, a moment, a gesture … anything at all in the show that you anticipate may get a completely different reaction depending on the audience that night?
D’yan: When I do “Touch-a Touch-a Touch-a Touch Me” from The Rocky Horror Picture Show (my version).
8. What’s your favorite line from the show?
D’yan: “Hey, hey, please come back and finish me!”
9. What’s the last thing you usually do before the beginning of a show?
D’yan: Peek through the curtain and see who’s shown up.
10. You scan the audience and you see a face that stops you dead in your tracks – who is it? And why are you shocked?
D’yan: My manager.
Well, that must be one hell of a manager! Guess the “why” of that question will have to remain a mystery. Hey, maybe we’ll find out in 2017 — since I’m sure a woman like you, D’yan, will pack enough living into the next year to have more than enough material for another FRIGID show next year! If so, be sure to throw in a little bit about that shocking manager of yours. Thanks so much for answering our questions, D’yan!
The rest of you – don’t forget to check out A Broad Abroad!
Horse Trade Theater Group will present the 10th Annual FRIGID New York Festival at The Kraine Theater (85 East 4th Street between 2nd Avenue and Bowery) and UNDER St. Marks (94 St. Marks Place between 1st Avenue and Avenue A) February 16-March 6. All shows run 60 minutes, or less. Tickets are available for purchase in advance at http://www.horsetrade.